Stereogum did his 50 Best Albums of 2013, The Guardian is on his way of a Top 40, Paste Magazine did 50 also, GorillaVsBear as well, Pretty Much Amazing did 100 Best Songs of 2013.Pitchfork didn’t yet.
The below songs will certainly be lost in the mainstream “Best Of 2013” lists, so here they are in the below Prostopleer player or there and here.
The mood of this 2nd Best Indie Songs 2013 playlist? Let’s say quirky electro hip-hop/ pop!
It features :
- - Britt Teusink, finds its own path from his latest band, the Atlanta trio deadCAT with a more polished style on “Meat”.Several other singles are on his soundcloud page, after one album under his name last year .
- - Vex Ruffin, always experimenting from post-punk to dark wave genres in his first EP’s, has also a more pop album on Stones Throw Records. “Warm Life” has Panda Bear’s touch.
- - Dave Bayley, Drew MacFarlane, Edmund Irwin-Singer, Joe Seaward as Glass Animals, coming from Oxford/UK, will certainly find a wider audience now that they are signed at Paul Epworth’s label Wolf Tone (producer for Adèle, Florence, Bloc Party,…).With an EP “Leaflings” last year on Kaya Kaya , “Psylla” is their latest single.
- - Kayus Bankole, Graham Hastings and Alloysious Massaquoi, as Young Fathers, are coming from Scotland, Edinburgh. A reference in hip-hop: they are signed at Anticon with a full LP “Dead” coming next February.
Stroboscopic concert @La Cigale in Paris last November and since they didn’t play “Mr.Martyr” and “Ebony Sky”, here they are in the playlist.
- - Christopher Laufman aka Wise Blood is not a newcomer( here in 2010) but had a proper 1st album “Id” released only in June this year. His odd sample manipulations turn great on “Alarm”.
- - Febueder (Kieran Godfrey, Harry Summersgill and Sam Keysell) from Ascot /UK just released their 2nd EP and comparisons with Alt-J or Animal Collective are blooming on internet.
- - “Perrett's Brook", the 1st single of Oliver Wilde’s first album “A Brief Introduction To Unnatural Lightyears”, released in July, instantly caught my attention because it sounded like a slower “Zap Zap” track from Cut Copy over Mark Linkous’s voice ( RIP Sparklehorse). The young guy is coming from Bristol.
- - It’s the first time a French band is in No Music because….SAmBA De La mUERTE comes from Caen and because“ Fire” is inventive, it is in this playlist.
- - Already in the “Choeurs” playlist here, the four Danish boys of When Saints Go Machine released their 3rd album, “Infinity Pool”, last May.
And always this Antony Hegarty’s voice nicely treated with helium.
More Indie Pop/Rock songs of 2013 to come…
BEST INDIE SONGS 2013 – PART 2